After I missed my spot on the waitlist for dry storage, Indy’s been staying in a garage for a few weeks. It didn’t take long to see what a luxury it is. Lights and heat means I can work on the few projects in comfort. Well, in less discomfort – scrubbing the mold off the inside of the cabin was awkward work.
The dry air in the garage meant Indy’s brightwork was dry and ready for refinishing really quickly. We started scraping the toerail, coaming, and all the other brightwork, using heat guns and scrapers. I was surprised at how much fun it was. After a weekend of scraping for 4-6 hours each day, I found myself heading over to the boat after work “just to scrape for an hour before dinner.” That kind of fun.
The video below is about halfway through scraping. What a mess. Progress!
Overall, Indy is in great shape. I could have launched and sailed right away. That said, there were several minor repairs and broken bits that needed to be dealt with. They all add up to days of work, and of course, they cost money.
I’d like to show you what Indy looked like before we started to scrape and sand, but I forgot to take “before” pictures. These photos are from the survey, and they focus on the worst. But here they are.
Indy with all her sails
The transom with the awful lettering
This little guy is a LOT more expensive than you’d think. Fortunately, there’s a cleat right behind the winch. I can live without the self-tailing feature.
Because the cable for the trailer was run through the bronze hardware on the bow, the cable wore a deep groove in the bronze.
This is the most substantive damage – the toerail needs to be repaired
An example of the condition of the wood around the deck
The cabin was all moldy from water draining into the cabin
On October 13, I bought a 1973 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender named Indy. She’s in great shape, with two complete sets of sails, one partial set and spinnaker. She’s beautiful. She only needed cleaning, minor wood refinishing, and one repair to the toerail and is basically ready to sail. We didn’t let that stop us from removing and completely refinishing the cockpit coaming and anything else that wasn’t too well attached.
From the day of the survey.